Posts: 28,652
Threads: 4,420
Joined: May 2004
Reputation:
0
Its fine but our main problem is people living beyond their means. Everyone I know that was laid off with an oilfield company here has already found another job. People that want to work will. So I think extending food stamps and unemployment will make people look less. Why when you can get a check for nothing for longer?
I'm more worried about the tax cuts when they expire. I don't see how the stimulus plan will work but I hope it does. If our economy gets rolling again we will get even busier. I think Louisiana is the exception here.
If you are worried about creating jobs why not bring back some of our factories? Raise tariffs on anything that comes in from overseas and try to get people back into manufacturing. You are in construction right bird? What do you buy that is american made?
Posts: 15,386
Threads: 638
Joined: Jun 2004
Reputation:
0
let's build a big wall around america!!!!!!!!
as far as union jobs, when the feds are involved, if no union workers are there, it doesn't make a difference
the contractors, by law, have to pay the "going rate", which is union scale
granted, a lot of companies try to skirt this, but if they get caught they are fucked
unless, of course, this has also changed since i was involved with this type of thing a hundred yrs ago
I realise that I have a past to break with--an accumulation of inertia, wrong, foolishness, rot, junk. A great need of clarification, of mindfulness, or rather, of no mind. A need to return to genuine practice, right effort. Need to push on the great doubt. Need for the spirit. Hang on to the clear light.
Thomas Merton
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2009, 02:03 AM by
snarg.)
Posts: 15,386
Threads: 638
Joined: Jun 2004
Reputation:
0
it's good to know i am not 100% obssolete
I realise that I have a past to break with--an accumulation of inertia, wrong, foolishness, rot, junk. A great need of clarification, of mindfulness, or rather, of no mind. A need to return to genuine practice, right effort. Need to push on the great doubt. Need for the spirit. Hang on to the clear light.
Thomas Merton
Posts: 15,386
Threads: 638
Joined: Jun 2004
Reputation:
0
please enlighten us davis bacon wages
thanks
I realise that I have a past to break with--an accumulation of inertia, wrong, foolishness, rot, junk. A great need of clarification, of mindfulness, or rather, of no mind. A need to return to genuine practice, right effort. Need to push on the great doubt. Need for the spirit. Hang on to the clear light.
Thomas Merton
Posts: 15,144
Threads: 914
Joined: Jun 2005
Reputation:
0
I think Davis Bacon also mandates that you have to pay overtime as 1.5 and not "comp time".
They list all of the work categories and an hourly wage scale for each. Example
Laborer $8.75
Concrete Finisher $9.75
Motor Grader Operator $10.25
etc.