Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Anyone remember much about the SAT?
#1

Question.

If a kid needs a really good grade on the SAT in order to get into a good university, what's the best way to get ready. There is about one year of time left to get it done.

Hire a tutor?

Get workbooks and study at home?

Take a class in the SAT?

How many times should they plan to take the test and does that matter?
Reply
#2

I'm not your fucking guidance counsler.

See You In Toledo
Reply
#3

I think it honestly depends on the kid's learning style.


For me, a class would have been a waste of time. The self help books had all the info I needed and let me get at it on my own terms.

[Image: boston.jpg]
Reply
#4

WoolyGoat Wrote:I think it honestly depends on the kid's learning style.


For me, a class would have been a waste of time. The self help books had all the info I needed and let me get at it on my own terms.

Yeah, I think you are right. I just bought a book and that was fine. I really just needed to adjust to the style of questions and what to expect.

This kid is not so much self-motivated to study alone.
Reply
#5

In louisiana you don't have to take the SAT, just the ACT. I scored a 22.
Reply
#6

I hear you can take the SAT as many times as you want and only count your highest score. I only took it once, so I don't know what effect retaking it has. Anyone do that?
Reply
#7

Flumper Barflusterbutt Wrote:I hear you can take the SAT as many times as you want and only count your highest score. I only took it once, so I don't know what effect retaking it has. Anyone do that?
Who is saying you can take the SAT as many times as you want and only count your highest score ?What happened?How old are you?

Who said I had to make sense ?
Reply
#8

Flumper Barflusterbutt Wrote:I hear you can take the SAT as many times as you want and only count your highest score. I only took it once, so I don't know what effect retaking it has. Anyone do that?
no ill effects, iirc. I think they just consider your highest math and your highest verbal.


I took it twice, and I think my "official score" counts the math from one and the verbal from the other.

[Image: boston.jpg]
Reply
#9

why'd ya take it goat. Its not like you were going to graduate college.
Reply
#10

Anhil8tor Wrote:why'd ya take it goat. Its not like you were going to graduate college.
I've graduated from two colleges.


same study "plan" for the GMAT, btw. I just bought a book because an entire course would have been a waste of money.

[Image: boston.jpg]
Reply
#11

WoolyGoat Wrote:no ill effects, iirc. I think they just consider your highest math and your highest verbal.


I took it twice, and I think my "official score" counts the math from one and the verbal from the other.

Hmm.. That is interesting. I'm recommending that the kid take the SAT in about a month with no preparation. Just to see how she will respond to the style of the test. Then get some kind of tutor or classroom help to prepare and take it again in late summer or early fall.

Most of the major universities require that you be enrolled by Feb 2009 if you want to go to the fall smemester in 2009.
Reply
#12

WoolyGoat Wrote:I've graduated from two colleges.


same study "plan" for the GMAT, btw. I just bought a book because an entire course would have been a waste of money.

University of Phoenix?
Reply
#13

Flumper Barflusterbutt Wrote:Hmm.. That is interesting. I'm recommending that the kid take the SAT in about a month with no preparation. Just to see how she will respond to the style of the test. Then get some kind of tutor or classroom help to prepare and take it again in late summer or early fall.

Most of the major universities require that you be enrolled by Feb 2009 if you want to go to the fall smemester in 2009.
did she take the PSAT?

[Image: boston.jpg]
Reply
#14

WoolyGoat Wrote:did she take the PSAT?

I'd have to ask. I dont' think so, though. The PSAT was just a pre-liminary test wasn't it? Like a practice test?
Reply
#15

Flumper Barflusterbutt Wrote:I'd have to ask. I dont' think so, though. The PSAT was just a pre-liminary test wasn't it? Like a practice test?
yeah, kind of designed "to see how she will respond to the style of the test."

[Image: boston.jpg]
Reply
#16

WoolyGoat Wrote:yeah, kind of designed "to see how she will respond to the style of the test."

Well, in the last half of the junior year, i would have thought the school would have made everyone take that by now. In my high school we just got hauled off to the cafeteria one day to take the PSAT. None of us even knew what it was.
Reply
#17

Flumper Barflusterbutt Wrote:Well, in the last half of the junior year, i would have thought the school would have made everyone take that by now. In my high school we just got hauled off to the cafeteria one day to take the PSAT. None of us even knew what it was.
ohh.

I think I took the PSAT as a soph. First SAT toward the end of my junior year, then a second go at it at the beginning of my senior year.

[Image: boston.jpg]
Reply
#18

WoolyGoat Wrote:ohh.

I think I took the PSAT as a soph. First SAT toward the end of my junior year, then a second go at it at the beginning of my senior year.
Take it easy.You believe that? Do you take the PSAT as a soph often?
I'm pleased to introduce myself to you,

SAT toward the end of my junior year then a second go at it at the beginning of my senior year
. And second?

Who said I had to make sense ?
Reply
#19

I sat next to Shelley C________. I had a major crush on her in High School. She married some short dude who now works for her Dad's company. There's a rumor that Vit E tossed her around a time or two since they exchanged vows.

leeman Wrote:I love the meathead...
Reply
#20

Sassy Wrote:Take it easy.You believe that? Do you take the PSAT as a soph often?
I'm pleased to introduce myself to you,

SAT toward the end of my junior year then a second go at it at the beginning of my senior year
. And second?
someone's been taking notes from bird.

[Image: boston.jpg]
Reply


Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by BIRD33
11-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Last Post by dodsno
09-30-2010, 12:10 AM
Last Post by Blondie
03-31-2010, 03:46 AM
Last Post by BIRD33
08-25-2009, 04:39 PM
Last Post by WoolyGoat
06-20-2007, 05:27 PM
Last Post by BIRD33
06-07-2007, 08:44 PM
Last Post by Blueeyedwoman
05-23-2007, 09:31 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)