07-27-2005, 03:50 PM
Here are some random hockey thoughts as I try to un-squint my eyes that were trying to see those microscopic NHL logos during last week's NHL Draft Lottery:
If I'm Paul Kariya, I'd sign with the Penguins and play with Super Mario and Sid The Kid.
Attention, Pittsburgh Penguins: Please consult me before designing your new arena. You have a baseball park beyond compare, so expect and demand the same for the house The Kid built. Here's a few of my 1,000 ideas:
1. It should hold no more than 17,000. The smaller the better. It doesn't matter how big a football stadium is, but baseball parks and hockey rinks are meant for a more intimate setting. See Fenway Park, PNC Park, Wrigley Field, Boston Garden, etc.
2. Reserve a section behind one of the nets made especially for a band. I'm talking college pep band. Invite a different college or high school band to every game. Bring a college vibe to the arena.
3. Iron City Ice Girls. PLEASE. This is very important.
4. Build a huge outdoor ice skating area on the shaded side of the arena and call it The Craig Patrick Backyard Rink. The outdoor rink should have a statue depicting Patrick helping a young child to skate. Charge $5, keep $2.50 for facility maintenance and give $2.50 to Children's Hospital. Keep a running total of money contributed under the statue in perpetuity.
5. Whatever you call the barn, don't use the word "Arena" or "Center." They are cold, lifeless words. Give me a Lemieux Gardens. For the other 995 ideas, hit my cell.
OTL: THE NEW NHL
Can the NHL revitalize its public image, recoup lost sponsorhip and television dollars and win back fan interest? Outside The Lines examines the NHL's future. (Tonight, ESPN, 12:40 a.m. ET/9:40 p.m. PT).
The Blackhawks continue their marketing genius by announcing they will continue their policy of not televising home games. But they will provide courtroom sketches at participating Denny's.
I bet you $500 Blackhawks owner Bill Wirtz can't name all 30 NHL teams.
If the Boston Bruins don't offer Joe Thornton a four-year, $28 million extension, they are nuts. Thornton is ready to take off. He will win the scoring title this season.
Brian Burke will draft USA Hockey's Jack Johnson at No. 2 because he knows how important Ed Jovanovski was to the Canucks' rebirth.
If the Atlanta Thrashers can sign a couple of bought-out defenseman at a good price, they can be a playoff threat. I wrote it here last year and I'll say again: If healthy, Eric Lindros should sign with the Thrashers. He is exactly what Atlanta needs and Atlanta would be good for him. Back to Thornton. ⦠If you were the Wings, would you trade Pavel Datsyuk for Thornton, or wait and try to get him in free agency?
How am I getting ready for the NHL's Opening Night (including all 30 teams) on Oct. 5? Seeing U2 Oct. 4 in Boston. I'll be the guy in the Cam Neely sweater with my pet otter.
I'm writing a hockey column and have yet to type the name of the No. 1 pick in this year's draft. No. 87's scoring totals this year? I'll go with 38-63-101. If I were the Penguins, I would have a No. 87 Bobblehead Night every night. I'm dead serious. That would guarantee 41 sellouts.
If I'm the Bruins I have 10 Bobby Orr Bobblehead Nights, 10 for Ray Bourque, 10 for Cam Neely, 10 for Joe Thornton, and one for Moe Lemay.
Part of me still doesn't believe we are going to have hockey this fall.
Who gets more goals? No. 87 or Alexander Ovechkin?
If I'm Paul Kariya, I'd sign with the Penguins and play with Super Mario and Sid The Kid.
Attention, Pittsburgh Penguins: Please consult me before designing your new arena. You have a baseball park beyond compare, so expect and demand the same for the house The Kid built. Here's a few of my 1,000 ideas:
1. It should hold no more than 17,000. The smaller the better. It doesn't matter how big a football stadium is, but baseball parks and hockey rinks are meant for a more intimate setting. See Fenway Park, PNC Park, Wrigley Field, Boston Garden, etc.
2. Reserve a section behind one of the nets made especially for a band. I'm talking college pep band. Invite a different college or high school band to every game. Bring a college vibe to the arena.
3. Iron City Ice Girls. PLEASE. This is very important.
4. Build a huge outdoor ice skating area on the shaded side of the arena and call it The Craig Patrick Backyard Rink. The outdoor rink should have a statue depicting Patrick helping a young child to skate. Charge $5, keep $2.50 for facility maintenance and give $2.50 to Children's Hospital. Keep a running total of money contributed under the statue in perpetuity.
5. Whatever you call the barn, don't use the word "Arena" or "Center." They are cold, lifeless words. Give me a Lemieux Gardens. For the other 995 ideas, hit my cell.
OTL: THE NEW NHL
Can the NHL revitalize its public image, recoup lost sponsorhip and television dollars and win back fan interest? Outside The Lines examines the NHL's future. (Tonight, ESPN, 12:40 a.m. ET/9:40 p.m. PT).
The Blackhawks continue their marketing genius by announcing they will continue their policy of not televising home games. But they will provide courtroom sketches at participating Denny's.
I bet you $500 Blackhawks owner Bill Wirtz can't name all 30 NHL teams.
If the Boston Bruins don't offer Joe Thornton a four-year, $28 million extension, they are nuts. Thornton is ready to take off. He will win the scoring title this season.
Brian Burke will draft USA Hockey's Jack Johnson at No. 2 because he knows how important Ed Jovanovski was to the Canucks' rebirth.
If the Atlanta Thrashers can sign a couple of bought-out defenseman at a good price, they can be a playoff threat. I wrote it here last year and I'll say again: If healthy, Eric Lindros should sign with the Thrashers. He is exactly what Atlanta needs and Atlanta would be good for him. Back to Thornton. ⦠If you were the Wings, would you trade Pavel Datsyuk for Thornton, or wait and try to get him in free agency?
How am I getting ready for the NHL's Opening Night (including all 30 teams) on Oct. 5? Seeing U2 Oct. 4 in Boston. I'll be the guy in the Cam Neely sweater with my pet otter.
I'm writing a hockey column and have yet to type the name of the No. 1 pick in this year's draft. No. 87's scoring totals this year? I'll go with 38-63-101. If I were the Penguins, I would have a No. 87 Bobblehead Night every night. I'm dead serious. That would guarantee 41 sellouts.
If I'm the Bruins I have 10 Bobby Orr Bobblehead Nights, 10 for Ray Bourque, 10 for Cam Neely, 10 for Joe Thornton, and one for Moe Lemay.
Part of me still doesn't believe we are going to have hockey this fall.
Who gets more goals? No. 87 or Alexander Ovechkin?

