Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Savant (sp?) on 60 Minutes?
#1

Did anyone see that guy from Britain. Fucking incredible. To prove to the world his savant (sp?) abilities he studied the numbers that represent PI (which we normally refer to as 3.14). For maybe a week or so. Then went before a bunch of engineers and scientists at Oxford (I think) and sat down and recited the digits of PI.

To nearly 23,000 decimal places. It took nearly 6 hours and he did not miss one single number. Perfect score.
Reply
#2

savant.

See You In Toledo
Reply
#3

They also challenged him to learn Icelandic. Which is (according to them) the hardest language to master. He studied it for 1 week and could speak it fluently.

What makes him so unique is that he isn't all fucked up like Rainman. He can talk normally and function normally. He has some idiosynchracies (sp?), but overall he's pretty normal.
Reply
#4

Idiosyncrasies.
Reply
#5

He would hate it here.
Reply
#6

I'd run him if he posted here.

cLaY Wrote:Knick-Knack Paddy's Whack, suckin' TF's Bone...

BIRD33 Wrote:You know who would be hilarious in a thread with this type of situation going on?Paddy.

BIRD33 Wrote:I was battling with the mods just like everyone else.
Reply
#7

Flumper Barflusterbutt Wrote:He would hate it here.

We have some savants he could hang out with.

cLaY Wrote:Knick-Knack Paddy's Whack, suckin' TF's Bone...

BIRD33 Wrote:You know who would be hilarious in a thread with this type of situation going on?Paddy.

BIRD33 Wrote:I was battling with the mods just like everyone else.
Reply
#8

Paddy Wrote:We have some savants he could hang out with.

I'm not sure that "peter tip experts" is the way he rolls.
Reply
#9

Bill's an idiot




Edit: savant

cLaY Wrote:Knick-Knack Paddy's Whack, suckin' TF's Bone...

BIRD33 Wrote:You know who would be hilarious in a thread with this type of situation going on?Paddy.

BIRD33 Wrote:I was battling with the mods just like everyone else.
Reply
#10

Paddy Wrote:Bill's an idiot




Edit: savant

he doesn't hang out here

I realise that I have a past to break with--an accumulation of inertia, wrong, foolishness, rot, junk.  A great need of clarification, of mindfulness, or rather, of no mind.  A need to return to genuine practice, right effort.  Need to push on the great doubt.  Need for the spirit.  Hang on to the clear light.
           
Thomas Merton


       
Reply
#11

Did the piece say if this guy used his abilities for anything worthwhile or does he just go around memorizing phone books?

cLaY Wrote:Knick-Knack Paddy's Whack, suckin' TF's Bone...

BIRD33 Wrote:You know who would be hilarious in a thread with this type of situation going on?Paddy.

BIRD33 Wrote:I was battling with the mods just like everyone else.
Reply
#12

it's srictly a freak show
the guy is a savant, not an avatar

I realise that I have a past to break with--an accumulation of inertia, wrong, foolishness, rot, junk.  A great need of clarification, of mindfulness, or rather, of no mind.  A need to return to genuine practice, right effort.  Need to push on the great doubt.  Need for the spirit.  Hang on to the clear light.
           
Thomas Merton


       
Reply
#13

snarg Wrote:it's srictly a freak show
the guy is a savant, not an avatar
Really.
srictly a freak showthe guy is a savant not an avatar is?

Who said I had to make sense ?
Reply
#14

Time before Rainman troll 3..2..1
Reply
#15

quint Wrote:Time before Rainman troll 3..2..1

Or MajorPrivate logs in?

cLaY Wrote:Knick-Knack Paddy's Whack, suckin' TF's Bone...

BIRD33 Wrote:You know who would be hilarious in a thread with this type of situation going on?Paddy.

BIRD33 Wrote:I was battling with the mods just like everyone else.
Reply
#16

Paddy Wrote:Did the piece say if this guy used his abilities for anything worthwhile or does he just go around memorizing phone books?
You know that is interesting. He has a partner and they have a company that does some kind of online training or something. It wasn't any kind of world changing thing.

But, I told my wife, "You know if they said I could have that guy as an employee of my company for a year, I have no idea what I would get him to do." I'm sure if you could find something to train his mind on, he could do it. But he works mostly in series of complicated number patterns.

He might make a good DNA researcher or something like that. It did seem to me that they needed to find some worthwhile global topic and get him working on it.
Reply
#17

It's raining here. Maybe I'll get the day off work.
Reply
#18

KMart sucks, Raymond

leeman Wrote:I love the meathead...
Reply
#19

Definitely, definitely, definitely not.
Reply
#20

My momma always said, "Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

cLaY Wrote:Knick-Knack Paddy's Whack, suckin' TF's Bone...

BIRD33 Wrote:You know who would be hilarious in a thread with this type of situation going on?Paddy.

BIRD33 Wrote:I was battling with the mods just like everyone else.
Reply


Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by who
03-24-2007, 10:44 PM
Last Post by Sassy
02-03-2007, 08:30 PM
10 minutes
ntype
Last Post by ntype
09-22-2006, 01:00 AM
Last Post by leeman
04-27-2006, 01:02 AM
Last Post by Jdub
01-13-2006, 01:57 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)