04-20-2005, 12:59 AM
The skin graft
A married couple was in a terrible accident where the man's face
was severely burned. The doctor told the husband that they couldn't graft
any skin from his body because he was too skinny. So the wife offered to
donate some of her own skin.
However, the only skin on her body that the doctor felt was
suitable would have to come from her buttocks.
The husband and wife agreed that they would tell no one about where
the skin came from, and they requested that the doctor also honour their
secret. After all, this was a very delicate matter.
After the surgery was completed, everyone was astounded at the
man's new face. He looked more hansome than he ever had before! All his
friends and relatives just went on and on about his youthful beauty!
One day, he was alone with his wife, and he was overcome with
emotion at her sacrifice. He said, "Dear, I just want to thank you for >everything you did for me. How can I possibly repay you?"
"My darling," she replied, "I get all the thanks I need every time
I see your mother kiss you on the cheek."
A married couple was in a terrible accident where the man's face
was severely burned. The doctor told the husband that they couldn't graft
any skin from his body because he was too skinny. So the wife offered to
donate some of her own skin.
However, the only skin on her body that the doctor felt was
suitable would have to come from her buttocks.
The husband and wife agreed that they would tell no one about where
the skin came from, and they requested that the doctor also honour their
secret. After all, this was a very delicate matter.
After the surgery was completed, everyone was astounded at the
man's new face. He looked more hansome than he ever had before! All his
friends and relatives just went on and on about his youthful beauty!
One day, he was alone with his wife, and he was overcome with
emotion at her sacrifice. He said, "Dear, I just want to thank you for >everything you did for me. How can I possibly repay you?"
"My darling," she replied, "I get all the thanks I need every time
I see your mother kiss you on the cheek."
I realise that I have a past to break with--an accumulation of inertia, wrong, foolishness, rot, junk. A great need of clarification, of mindfulness, or rather, of no mind. A need to return to genuine practice, right effort. Need to push on the great doubt. Need for the spirit. Hang on to the clear light.
Thomas Merton

